29162Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: cresting

  • Brighid ni Muirenn
    Sep 8, 2011
      The Boltraffio portrait at the Timken Museum is now at http://www.timkenmuseum.org/collection/italian/portrait-youth-holding-arrow . Giovanni Antonio Boltraffio, Portrait of a Youth Holding an Arrow, c1500-1510. Brighid ni Muirenn

      On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Dan Stratton <agincort@...> wrote:

      >If you have any documentation for cresting I would be most interested in it.

      >Thanks,
      >cog

      For what it's worth,
      At the Cleveland Museum of Art, in a German paiting from the 1540s, the hunting scene has a hunt with numerous crossbow shooters - close inspection shows the bolts marked with colored banding. The painting is "Hunting Near Hartenfels Castle" by Lucas Cranach the Elder (1472-1553)

      Date: 1540

      Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe
      Midrealm Forester - OP
      "- bows of carved wood strong for use, with well-seasoned strings of hemp, and arrows sharp-pointed whizzing in flight."

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic