29159Re: cresting

  • greg u
    Sep 8, 2011
      I see that anally retentive SCA Documenturds are here trying to muddy up reality with supposed "Documents". Documented by whom? Some know nothing court hanger on that did not have anything to do for a day in 1300s?
      And that court jester becomes the Knowing all Authority for banding on into infinity; just because he thought he would write something down for a gag. Stupid!
      Do the work in the period way with period material---not with menards wood and elmers glue and plastic nocks---and after a little while you might understand what it means to make arrows.
      The reality is "Good" arrows were hard to make and one would only use good arrows in a contest with other archers. Since where you lived will dictate the type of birds you can get fetching from most of all the contestants of an archery shoot off would have the same type of bird feathers as fletching. (Undocumented Reality) Maybe some would use robin feathers instead of seagull feathers or maybe some would cut the feathers a little different to retrieve their own arrows but conflicts on field would be inevitable. Either honestly or maliciously, arguments about who's arrow it was would have occurred since from the earliest time of archery. Say 10,000 yrs ago (undocumented). And when there was conflicts it would escalate to a fight with fists or knives and then there would be injuries to both sides. (undocumented)
      This is not a good thing for social order or regional stability! Hence based on the reality of the arrow making process and using rational logic and personal experience in conflict resolution I hypothesize that plant dye colors were used on arrow shafts and maybe fetching from since the earliest time of archery contests. Probably before the Sumerians were around and Certainly before the britans and picts paddled over to that miserable island. (undocumented reality)

      Balac the period wood worker
      http://scawood.webs.com

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Joe Klovance <jklovanc@...> wrote:

      > Here is a closeup of the "fletching". http://www.mythrealmaille.com/images/sca/cresting.JPG
      >
      > There is some colour banding but it is difficult to see. There is another anomaly; The shaft gets bigger below the "fletching". I have never seen that on an arrow. I have seen javelins with a heavier shaft attached to a lighter top section; a bit like a pilum. To me it looks more and more like a javelin or spear.
      >
      > Gryffyd
      >
      > To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      > From: jotl2008@...
      > Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 21:55:19 -0700
      > Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: cresting

      > And I don't see any cresting in the shaft either!
      > James
      > On Sep 7, 2011, at 9:40 PM, Joe Klovance wrote:
      >
      > Do you mean this portrait? http://www.artcyclopedia.org/art/giovanni-antonio-boltraffio-saint.jpg
      >
      > If that is not the portrait please ignore the rest of this post. Interesting this is that the quills on the fetching is pointed in the wrong direction. There is also no visible means of supporting the "arrow" in that position. The left arm would be in a different position. I think that is al light spear and not an arrow.
      >
      > Gryffyd

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic