28981Re: [SCA-Archery] Opposing Archer Eliminations???

  • Lyle Kirshenbaum
    Jul 1, 2011
      One version of the "every man for himself" shoot that we have found fun is to use helium balloons attached to anchors spaced at intervals.  Each balloon represents an archer.  When yours is popped, you step off the line.  The balloons are not generally static targets, but move in the slightest breeze.  It is a lot of fun to see an archer take aim at his "opponent" just to have him duck at the last second as the wind picked up.

      Abraam

      On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Siegfried <siegfried@...> wrote:

      A few thoughts:

      1) I think that these kinda went out of style, because what often
      happened was "3 ... 2 ... 1 ... LOOSE" ... and BAM BAM ... two hits, and
      trying to figure out who got who, etc.

      2) The odd-man out situation is hard to handle. Only 'real' way, is to
      make a grouping of 3 (which isn't fair to those) ... or make one person
      have a 'bye' round, just like in a single-elim tournament. etc

      3) I've found that alot of fun variation of this, that gets everyone
      having a blast ... is the following:

      * A line with X number of stakes out from it (5 is good, maybe 6 or 7
      ...). Each target stake, has 3 or 4 clips on it, to hold clay
      pidgeons, or balloons.

      * You have archers line up, one per stake. Each stake is 'that
      archer'. When all their balloons/pidgeons are dead ... they have to
      step off the line and stop shooting.

      * Every man for himself.

      This becomes a complete blast. And most often, the 'best archers' don't
      win. Because everyone else focuses on shooting THEIR stuff dead. And
      numbers beat accuracy at that point. Everyone laughs, everyone has fun,
      and a medium-ish skill archer goes home with the prize usually :)

      Siegfried