28975Re: [SCA-Archery] Opposing Archer Eliminations???

  • James of the Lake
    Jul 1 12:57 PM
      In most double-elim competitions, the odd archer out shoots against the "Dreaded Bye". Lysts rotates the bye so no one gets it twice (or at least not too often); an archer that is either out or not shooting (like a baron in a baronial championship in his own territory, for example); and thus all competitors still in the competition shoot every round. A win or loss against the bye shooter does not count in the competition; the shooter in the actual competition automatically advances to the next round.

      Talk to your local lyst officer for details on how the bye is handled.

      James

      On Jul 1, 2011, at 12:34 PM, hawken1911 wrote:

      > Hello Gang,
      >
      > Many years ago 'opposing archer' shoots were common at events. You would pair up the archers in sudden death duels at an 'archer' target, and the first to hit the target eliminated their opponent. The winners of the first round would then pair off, etc. until there was only one winner. I'm considering running this for a local group, and I realized I don't know how the marshals reconciled odd numbers. You could start with an odd number of people where everybody was paired up except one person. Or, you could start with even pairs, for example 10 archers (5 pairs), but then after the first round you would have 5 archers (2 pairs and an odd man out). I'm probably missing something very simple here, but I can't figure out a fair way to deal with the 'odd man out'. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
      >
      > Hawken
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic