    May 5, 2011
      Golf balls would work.  They are a bit light though for pole sling ammunition, but would work for a demo.  Especially the bright orange driving range type.

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

      >At 05:58 AM 5/5/2011, you wrote:

      golf balls work well
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "James Koch" <alchem@...>
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 9:56:48 PM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Atlatls in the SCA?

      Iain,

      My guess is the bundle of paint balls would have a much higher drag coefficient than a stone or lead shot.  So it wouldn't give very good results when shooting for distance.  It might be possible to start with a very heavy stone, then one lighter, then one lighter.  Shoot each several times to get an average and then extrapolate for a lighter projectile.  Of course there is a point where further reducing the mass of the projectile will not add range and will actually shorten it.  If I just want to do a pole sling demo the pain balls would work.  Alternately I could use something like a dense rubber ball or a rock covered in cloth and talcum powder.  That ought to be easy to spot when it hits.

      Has anyone ever done a pole sling demo at Pennsic?

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

      >At 08:29 PM 5/3/2011, you wrote:

      If I msy Suggest Using Paint Balls bundled together in a stocking(pantyhose)to measure the distance.

      And yes, the range of the Pole Sling should be equal to or greater than that of an Atlatl. Because of the longer arm within the principles of a Fulcrum.

      For those of you who are interested check out the Primitive ways web site good stuff there.

      Iain

> [...]
      > >
      > I made mine out of a mop handle with a groove cut
      > about an inch and a half in at one end. I tied a
      > leather thong around the groove. The other end
      > attached to a thick leather band. From that
      > extended another thong with a loop at the end to
      > go over the end of the pole. The longer the
      > wooden pole and the longer the sling, the greater the velocity.
      > >
      > I live only a couple hundred yards from the South
      > shore of Lake Erie. When I was experimenting
      > with slings I'd go down to the lake. The beaches
      > here are not sand, they are glacial pebble and
      > stone. There are smooth stones from the size of
      > eggs all the way up to fist size which are
      > perfect as sling ammunition. In classical times
      > round football shaped slugs were also used. The
      > beach was also littered with old paving bricks
      > which had been rounded down over the decades. I
      > used to throw halves of bricks with my hand
      > sling. The most impressive projectiles though
      > were egg sized stones thrown using the pole
      > sling. Of all the single human powered
      > projectile weapons, atlatls, bows, hand slings,
      > throwing sticks, blowguns, the pole sling gives
      > the highest velocity to the heaviest projectile
      > and gives the greatest range. I have heaved
      > rocks out into the lake hundreds of yards. It's
      > impressive. You heave the stone and it buzzes
      > off into the distance. You wait and watch, and
      > then suddenly way out in the lake there is a
      > splash. If there is no wind and you listen
      > carefully you eventually hear the sound of the
      > splash. If I had a stop watch and someone to
      > monitor it, I could figure the range by the time
      > it takes for the sound to reach shore.
      > >
      > I'd love to do a sling demo, but can't figure
      > where and how. The range of the things is so
      > great that they present problems. Lead shots,
      > which are the most efficient, imbed themselves in the ground on impact.
      > >
      > Jim Koch, "Gladius The Alchemist"
      > >
      > > At 07:33 PM 5/2/2011, you wrote:
      > >

      > >Greeting unto Gladius The Alchemist does Iain Griffen send.
      > >
      > >Good Gentle
      > >
      > >Is not the Pole sling a simple form of the
      > >Traction Trebuchet? And with that in mind
      > >wouldn't it also a force multiplier. with it
      > >being made with a length of a walking staff with the sling attached.
      > >
      > >It would be interesting to see results of a
      > >field testing using the pole sling for distance and accurcy vs weight thrown.
      > >
      > >Several years ago there was a page that had a
      > >good link for pole slings, then when the owner
      > >passed the page(s) went away. I think the pages were the Spider Web.
      > >
      > >Iain Griffen
      > >
      > >Lord of the Atenveldt Court
      > >
      > >Knight of the Adrian Empire
      > >Duke of the Dutchy of Cyprus (Adria)
      > >
      > >--- In
      > >< mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com > SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com,
      > >James Koch <alchem@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Gentlemen & Ladies,
      > > > >
      > > > Atlatls are interesting, but pole slings are way
      > > > cool, and easy to document. I ought to bring my
      > > > pole sling to Pennsic this year and see if I can

    • Show all 41 messages in this topic