28087Re: Historical quiver construction

  • warbow67
    Dec 6, 2010
      Excellent source. I think the crosshatching is actually leather as there is some identical for the saddle belt under the horse, I doubt that would be basketwork, so I think it is leather that that serves to reinforce the quiver at the top and bottom.

      But how would you interpret the rounded bottom in the illustration? Is it a typical flat bottom for a tube quiver, or does it suggest a flattened quiver body instead of a tube? A picture of yours would be helpful.

      Thanks,
      Dave H

      ----------------------------

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Joe LaTorre <latorrej@...> wrote:

      > I designed my hip quiver based on an illustration in John Hewitt's
      > Ancient Armour and Weapons.
      > Hope the following link works for you:
      >
      > http://www.archive.org/stream/ancientarmourwea00hewirich#page/194
      >
      > According to the text, the illustration is 13th century. You can't
      > tell much about materials here - I used leather, though I think the
      > crosshatching suggests basketwork. Also, I suspend at an angle with
      > straps, rather than vertically as shown.
      >
      > Joseph de la Tour, West Kingdom
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic