27602Re: Greetings and string-length advice needed

  • Lord Alester MacClansy
    Jul 10, 2010
      I heartily concur that getting your form correct is very important. It's taken me 3 years for it to come naturally. Also remember if you lower your bow weight you may find you have to "arch" your arrows in to the target. Most of my friends shoot #45 or greater bows. While they have a flatter trajectory than my #35, I often have to remind myself to shoot in an arc. I think seeing them shoot rather flat I subconsiously shoot flat. When my arrow surfs under the target is when I go "DOH!". Best of luck to you in your shooting endeavors!

      Klancey

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Jason Yeates <yeatesman@...> wrote:

      > Hi Laura!
      >
      > I'm pretty sure everyone would agree with Carl. When you are first starting
      > out, it's very important to develop your form - this is impossible if you
      > have trouble drawing.
      >
      > I find that once you get tired from shooting that your accuracy will
      > plummet, which is super frustrating when you are beginning. :) I'd strongly
      > recommend learning to shoot with a lighter draw until you can fully draw
      > your 45# without the shake.
      >
      > I also think you will also find that the range marshalls will be concerned
      > about your ability to handle the bow safely if you shake while demonstrating
      > your draw during bow inspection.
      >
      > All that being said, you must be pretty strong already to be able to pull
      > the 45# at all - with some work I'd expect you to be able to handle the bow
      > pretty quickly.
      >
      > Welcome to the archery addiction! :)
      >

      > On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:16 PM, <nelson3146@...> wrote:
      >

      > > as a coach I would have advised you to start with a lighter bow and to work
      > > your way up to a weight you like. (also for SCA shooting you do not really
      > > need anything heavier then 35# or 40#).
      > > --
      > > Carl Nelson
      > > Æoelwigg Ælfwiggsson
      > > Captain of Archers Barony of the Angels
      > > NELSON3146@... <NELSON3146%40roadrunner.com>
      > > PH#626-297-6513
      > >

      > > ---- earthsong99 <twopeaedpod@... <twopeaedpod%40gmail.com>> wrote:
      > > > Hello all!
      > > >
      > > > New to this group and a beginner in target archery. I just got my first
      > > bow (a 45# 60" Bear recurve). I'm very excited to get started, but need to
      > > get off on the right foot. I can't pull back a 45# bow easily (can but it's
      > > shaky and I wouldn't last long) and so it was suggested to me to put a
      > > longer string on it. It was also suggested that I could "un-twist" the
      > > string a bit to get some more give on it and tighten it back as I get
      > > stronger.
      > > >
      > > > So, my question is...if I get a longer string AND plan on
      > > untwisting/retwisting, then what length string should I get? 62", 64"?
      > > > If any more info is needed to help with this matter, please let me know -
      > > happy to give details!
      > > >
      > > > Also, I'm in AEthelmearc, Dominion of Myrkfaelinn - are there any more
      > > local email groups or listservs I could join in on?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks!
      > > > - Laura :)

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic