27598Re: [SCA-Archery] Greetings and string-length advice needed

  • Carolus
    Jul 9, 2010
      It is a myth that lengthening a string will reduce the draw weight of a
      bow. It will only change the efficiency of the bow by changing the
      brace height. At any given point of flex, a bow will have the same
      force applied to the string. If a bowstring measures 56 inches, it will
      put a certain force on the bow at rest (brace height) and the force
      required to draw it to full draw will be a certain amount (in this case
      45# at 28*). Putting a longer string on it will reduce the force at
      rest but still require the same force at full draw. There will be a
      small difference in the performance of the arrow. That is why twisting
      or untwisting the string is good for tuning the bow to attain maximum
      performance with a particular set of arrows.

      A more important question would be, how long can you hold this bow at
      full draw? Find a local coach and work with him/her to do some form and
      strength building exercises or you will need a lighter bow until you
      build into this one.
      Carolus