2717Re: [SCA-Archery] Nocks

  • Karl Sandhoff
    Jun 18, 2000
      Excuse the late reply but I am just working my way through the 2000 posts
      I have received in May and June. Please see my comments below.
      In service to the dream,
      Carolus von Eulenhorst

      On Tue, 06 Jun 2000 21:40:26 -0500 "Chris Nogy" <cnogy@...>
      writes:

> [...]

      This requires a philosophical allowance that mortal man is capable of
      perfection; a position find impossible to justify by any philosophy I
      have come across yet. Assuming this, the path may as well be infinite in
      length and wherever a man stops along the path we do not know how far he
      has progressed. We do, however, set benchmarks along the way at which
      recognition is given. Thus, it matters not how far a man progresses as
      long as he meets the benchmarks set by other men.

      >snip<
      >I am not considering service here - service is not archery. A person
      >can be the greatest marshal, the most abundant producer of cool
      >targets, the constant autocrat of archery events, the most prolific
      >supplier of equipment for novices, but not be able to hit the broad
      >side of a barn at 10 feet. They should be amply rewarded for their
      >service to archery, but not for their archery. The A&S integrates
      >into archery in a very special way - you don't have to be a craftsman
      >to do it right, you can buy all the stuff you need, so it is not the
      >SCA A&S of archery that I refer to, it is the art of period archery,
      >the ability to do what they did with the gear they did it with in the
      >same way they did it. If you have skill at hitting the target equal
      >to another, but you do it with period gear and they do it with modern
      >gear, you should expect to receive more acclaim.

      But here you deviate from the purpose of the SCA. That is the purpose
      for which we are granted the special priveledge of our tax-exempt status.
      The SCA's purpose is education and uses re-creation (not re-enactment)
      as a means to acheive it. We are not a "skill at shooting with a
      historical type of equipment" society. One member may be an expert shot
      with an English long bow, another with a turkish recurve, another with a
      German crossbow, and another with a Viking flatbow. Various compromises
      must be taken with each of these as many of the materials used in period
      are not safe for us to use today or are simply not reasonably available
      (the may not exist now or be too expensive if they do). Other members
      could shoot with more modern equipment getting the feel for what the
      period archer did but be master craftsmen in making reproductions of that
      equipment; research the technology used to make the equipment; study the
      social place of the archer; or study the tactics of the archer in war.
      All of these gentles are worthy of recognition based on the traditions of
      the SCA and what we have recognized in the past.

      >snip<

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • Show all 44 messages in this topic