      From: William Arwemakere
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 8:37 AM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] GWW range marshals

      Good morning

      I often wonder why there is no required authorization for target archery in
      the SCA. It is by far the most potentially lethal activity we do (except
      perhaps cooking for a feast, can get more than on target that way). Often I
      see a new face appear on the range at an event, and simply walk up to the
      line and start shooting. Most people know what they are doing, while some
      have no clue whatsoever. Often there is one marshal to run the line, and so
      should not be distracted by having to focus on that one new person to ensure
      they're safe. It only takes one newbie to make one mistake to ruin a day.

      I am not advocating requiring it, but it's curious.

      William