26556Re: [SCA-Archery] Pennsic Competition

  • James Koch
    Jul 12, 2009
      Jon,

      It's a good thing I posted this to the group. You brought up a
      number of issues I hadn't addressed. I was thinking in terms of a
      saunders matt and didn't consider pass throughs. However, just in
      case I'll add them to the list. I suppose we can add a center mark
      of sorts to the target face just to help the people who like a hard
      aiming point. As for the time involved in searching for misses, I
      don't think this will be a big problem since I expect the shoot to go
      pretty fast. Of course it will depend on how many people actually
      decide to compete. If we get 100+ this will be an issue at least in
      the early rounds. What I can do though is bring along a bunch of
      those little ground marker flags to show the former locations of the
      butt. That will make it easier for people who come back later
      looking for buried projectiles. The butt will definitely be moved
      back a bit for each new round. Of course this will be left to the
      marshal. As to the final two participants both missing, that is
      something which had not occurred to me. I guess we'll then keep the
      butt where it is and have a sudden death type shoot off where each
      takes a shot until one hits and the other misses. So when are you
      making the pilgrimage to Pennsic?

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"