26552Re: [SCA-Archery] Pennsic Competition

  • James Koch
    Jul 11, 2009
      Gentlemen & Ladies,

      I am sponsoring an archery competition at Pennsic. I have drawn up a
      set of rules for the contest and have included them below. Be
      advised, I am not yet sure what exactly will constitute the target
      butt. I envision it as a being similar to a Saunders matt on a
      tripod. This is meant to be a simple hit or miss competition. No
      math whatsoever on anyone's part. Even the distances shot will
      remain unknown and irrelevant. The only counting required will be in
      selecting 6 projectiles.

      I have a question for the group. Are the following rules clear, and
      have I covered all the bases? Please understand that I am not asking
      for improvements or major changes to the competition. If you think a
      different format is superior, please draw up a set of rules and
      sponsor your own competition and I'll enter and compete.

      Pennsic 38 Alchem Archery Competition
      1) This competition will award two prizes. One prize will go to
      the winning hand bow shooter, and the other to the winning crossbow
      shooter. Hand bows and crossbows will shoot simultaneously at the
      same target.
      2) The target consists of a movable butt at an unknown range. A
      hit anywhere on the butt will be counted as good, including hits
      which fall or bounce back out. Glances will not be counted as good.
      3) The shoot is un-timed.
      4) Participants each begin with six arrows or bolts. Each
      participant will shoot until a hit is made on the target or all
      remaining arrows or bolts have been expended. Participants who hit
      the target stay in the competition into the next round. Those who
      did not make a hit are eliminated.
      5) Once all participants have shot, the marshal will allow shooters
      to gather their arrows and bolts from the ground surrounding the
      target. These misses will be handed to the scoring marshal for safe
      keeping until the end of the shoot or until a participant has been
      eliminated from the competition.
      6) After all misses have been gathered, any arrow or bolt which has
      made a good hit on the target may be retrieved and
      re-used. Participants who hit the target and remain in the
      competition may combine the scoring arrow or bolt with any others
      remaining from the previous round.
      7) The competition will continue until one winning hand bow and one
      winning crossbow shooter remain.

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic