26341Re: [SCA-Archery] waivers

  • obsidian@raex.com
    May 9, 2009
      Greetings

      Correct. Publication on a recognized Email list,
      while it doesn't have quite the legal force of printed document, is
      nevertheless sufficient to be a Official Notification, and therefore
      invokes all current and relevant regulations.

      Nigel

      On Sat, May 9, 2009 10:59 am, Ronald Klick wrote:
      > Greetings to
      everyone,

      > I have a further question. In my
      case, I am not able to forecast ahead to
      > set dates to be
      > published in our local newsletter. I therefore post an announcement
      on our
      > local groups
      > email list. I have been told that
      this constitutes sufficient notice that
      > this can then be
      considered an "official" practice for which I can submit
      > scores for Royal Rounds and
      > IKAC Rounds. Does this then
      also mean it is covered as an official
      > practice for SCA
      > insurance? I am a warranted marshal in the East Kingdom, and I have
      > warranted
      > children's officer present when I run kids
      IKAC rounds.

      From: obsidian@...
      <obsidian@...>
      > Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] waivers
      > To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Saturday, May 9,
      2009, 5:29 AM

      > Greetings
      >
      > ----- Regarding waivers and sign-ins generally: in
      > the Midrealm, there is no requirement to use waivers at a simple
      practice,
      > and it isn't done, normally. Individual marshals at
      local practices can,
      > of course, use sign-in sheets, scorecards,
      waivers, whatever; there is no
      > requirement NOT to use them
      either; but generally I think folks would
      > think that sort of
      thing much more officious than need be for a simple
      > practice.
      Bear in mind that, as far as the overall SCA goes, a seperate

      waiver for an archery range isn't required even for an event, which
      leads
      > to part two...
      >
      > ----- Regarding
      Gladius' question about
      > insurance. If a practice is officially
      announced at a regular meeting,
      > and/or if it is published in a
      recognized Scadian publication such as a
      > local newsletter or
      whatnot, then the practice is regarded as an
      > "event",
      and insurance applies, I believe. And, other such
      > circumstances,
      the presence of a warranted marshal is required (if the
      > kingdom
      in which this takes places has recognized and warranted TAMs - I

      think all kingdoms do, now, ne ce pas?). This is why, when I was

      Archer-General, if someone came to me and said "there's a group of
      us
      > that would like to practice, but there are no marshals in our
      area, what
      > can we do?" I would advise them simply to go to
      someone's backyard or
      > a local range and practice to their hearts
      content - without involving the
      > SCA as such by announcing or
      advertising it in a formal sense within SCA
      > venues or media. So,
      the case that Gladius discusses (and by extension,
      > what Lorelei
      is getting at) is - a sign-in sheet does not create
      > liability.
      The presence of a warranted marshal does not create liability
      > as
      such. Requiring the signing of a waiver is a grey area, and could be
      > implied to apply a liability if you wanted to argue it. Standing up
      in a
      > regular meeting and announcing that you are going to hold a
      practice on
      > such-and-such a day, or publishing said info in your
      shire newsletter,
      > does create an official SCA venue, and under
      that circumstance, all
      > relevant kingdom and SCA Inc. regulations
      are in force.

      8, 2009 11:51 pm, James Koch wrote:
      >> Gentlemen &
      Ladies,

      >> I have a relevant

      question. Given the case of someone like Lorelei
      >> who
      holds
      > practices on their own property, if they have
      participants
      >> sign
      > a waiver and have a marshal on
      hand to inspect equipment and run

      > the line, are
      these people covered by the SCA's insurance?

      >> Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
      >>

      >>>Greetings Dalton,
      >>>
      >>>We have
      a regular archery practice at my home in
      > North Carolina -
      >>> Atlantia.
      >>>I maintain good
      > range
      safety, do bow inspections, and keep the
      >>>goofing-around
      > off the range (fair amount on the
      sidelines
      >>>*smile*).We do
      > keep track
      >>>of who was at practice, but we've never felt the

      need for any kind of
      >>>waiver. I imagine from a
      liability
      > perspective, that might change if

      someone
      >>>tripped, fell and tried to sue me for being a
      klutz.

      >>>Lorelei
      >>>

      >>>In a message dated 5/8/2009 6:56:19 P.M.
      Eastern Daylight
      tiger%40shaw. ca>ice.tiger@shaw. ca
      > writes:
      >>>
      >>>Good day to the list,
      >>>We
      > are having a discussion in our area about
      waivers and sign in sheets
      >>>for archery practice. My
      question is, do you require either or
      > both for
      >>>archery practices in your home area? I am curious to
      > know how things
      >>>are done in
      >>>difeerent
      > areas/Kingdoms.
      >>>Dalton
      >>>
      >>>Lorelei
      >>>********** ****A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See
      yours in
      > just 2
      >>> easy
      >>>steps!
      >>>(<http://pr.atwola. com/promoclk/
      100126575x122132 2931x1201367171/
      >>> aol?redir= http://www.
      freecreditreport .com/pm/default. aspx?sc=668072&

      hmpgID=115& bcd>http://pr.atwola. com/promoclk/ 100126575x122132
      >>> 2931x1201367171/ aol?redir= http://www. freecreditreport
      >>> .com/pm/default. aspx?sc=668072& hmpgID=115& bcd
      >>>=May5509Avgfooter NO115)
      >>>
      >>>[Non-text
      > portions of this message have been
      removed]

      > removed]
      >>

      > --
      > "Ausculta,
      > feminae novae in lacunis recumbens gladii
      dispensans non fundamentum pro
      > formula administrationis
      est."
      > -