26225Re: Gulf Wars 2010

  • Egil Haraldsson
    Apr 1, 2009
      Thanks , nothing would be manditory. As for each Kingdom presenting a prize I guess that would be up to the Kingdom but then if they want to win the populas vote??? :)

      At this point I am just looking into it and see how much support we can come up with. Giving the winning gear to the Kingdom Earl Marshal is a good idea or any Mashal representing the Kingdom at the time would work as long as it gets to the new Archer/Thrower all is good. You are correct about the fibreglass bows and exactly what I was thinking.

      Thanks for the reply.
      Egil

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "John and Carol Atkins" <cogworks@...> wrote:

      > Egil,
      > I like the idea of each kingdom designing and running a shoot during the week. Provides more variety in shooting and spreads the job of range marshalling out. I would not make it mandatory but do it on a volunteer basis at least for the first year to see how it flys. I would also assume that each kingdom doing a shoot would provide prizes for the winners. I also like the idea of a populace vote for best novelty shoot. I'm still cogitating the prize for best novelty shoot. In my barony several of us have sprung for loaner gear much as you describe. However because it is our gear we have control over it. If it goes to the kingdom far too often things like this wind up on a storage shed somewhere and don't get used. The logic is that it is kingdom owned therefore must be controlled. And unfortunately the concept of "controlled" usually equals "locked in our storage shed". Perhaps if the prize gear were awarded to each kingdoms Earl Marshal for archery it would have a better chance of actually showing up at events and being used as suggested. I really like the idea of loaner gear as a prize though. In our area we quite often have folks wander onto the archery range and say stuff like "Wow! That looks like fun. Can I try?" The $40 fiberglass bows are great for this. They can be shot left or right handed and you could practically drive nails with them and they don't get damaged. It's enough to get folks hooked on the fun that archery is.
      >
      > One thing that Pennsic has that GW does not is a woods walk course. At Pennsic it is only used for the Masters Shoot but those who shoot it look forward to it each year. I don't know if that could be layed out at King's Arrow Range or not but it sure would be cool if it's possible.
      >
      > cog
      >
      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Egil Haraldsson" <eagleclaws_skyrider@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Greetings Lords and Ladies,
      > > Now that GW is over and as we look forward to next years, you are looking toward next year, right! :)
      > >
      > > Some discussion has been going on and I would like all Archers and Thrown Weapon artist to become engaged. I hope that everyone will have some input even if it is on the local or Kingdom level.
      > >
      > > The first proposal for next year is this:

> [...]
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic