25061Re: Archery heroes

  • Kinjal of Moravia
    Jul 15, 2008
      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Luigi Kapaj" <puppy@...> wrote:

      In the archives here are several stories about famous archers -- may
      take a little searching under my posts -- Henry 8th, Buddha and one
      about a Greek area archer who would allow others to shot at him an
      knock their arrows from the air. Of course, you know of the Ghengis
      Kahn Stone. Also, the hero of the "black Arrow" famous novel does a
      stunt or two.

      Kinjal

      > I'm working on a project where it would be useful to include some
      > information about famous archers.
      >
      > I know about a few interesting Asian sources including Erhii Mergen
      and Yi
      > the archer of Mongolian and Chinese mythology respectively, some
      historical
      > archers from the Mongol Empire like Yesunggei, Arjuna from the
      Indic epic
      > Mahabarata, good ol' Robin Hood, and I think Odysseus was supposed
      to be an
      > incredible archer. But that's about it.
      >
      > What are your heroes of archery?
      >
      > They can be historical or mythological, and from any culture. A
      name and
      > source is plenty, brief description would be nice too. Emphasis on
      their
      > skill. I'm just not interested in anything too modern.
      >
      > Oh yeah, William Tell and other crossbow heroes welcome too. Not my
      focus,
      > but wouldn't hurt.
      >
      > Let me kick this off with the ones I know already:
      >
      > Erhii Mergen - Mongol mythology - Myth of the seven suns burning up
      the
      > land, Erhii Mergen, after some boasting by both him and his flying
      horse,
      > shot down 6 of the 7 suns, his 7th shot was deflected by a swallow,
      forking
      > its tail, and the sun hid behind the mountains in the west. After
      failing to
      > live up to his boast, he cut off his thumbs and became a marmot and
      his
      > horse a gerbil.
      > http://www.geocities.com/julelena/english/legends/Erkhii.htm
      >
      > Yi the archer - Chinese mythology, possibly 2 separate Yi's 1 myth
      & 1
      > historical - variant myth of 7 suns among other stories.
      > "Chinese Archery" by Stephen Selby
      >
      > Yesungge - Mongol Empire - Nephew of Chinggis Khaan, has a record
      breaking
      > archery score (translations vary from 300 to 600 yards) recorded in
      stone
      > currently held in the Hermitage.
      > http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/html_En/12/b2003/hm12_3_1_5.html
      >

      > Puppy