24760Re: Makeing one's own thumbring: Resources? Sculpty?

  • jameswolfden
    May 5, 2008
      Okay, how is a thumbring going to help with your ring finger getting
      swollen? I am assuming by ring finger you mean the one you wear your
      wedding ring on. If you shooting mediterrean, I think a different
      glove might help.

      Atarn.org has a lot of good information on building rings. Sculpy
      might work but you will have to experiment. Here are some other
      alternatives.

      A billiard ball ring buildalong
      http://198.170.108.27/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=764

      There is another thread on a leather thumbring soaked in superglue
      to harden it but you could probably just do it in cour boulli
      http://198.170.108.27/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=683

      Here is one using a copper pipe thumbring and a leather kulak. The
      copper pipe (1" in diameter) is cut at an angle to provide the right
      diameter for your thumb.
      http://198.170.108.27/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39

      Hope that helps,

      James

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder
      Lutre <Merry@...> wrote:

      > I'm afraid the $32+ hand-carved horn thumbrings from Three Rivers
      are a
      > little out of my price range at the moment and I'd like to have a
      go at
      > making my own (200 arrows a day is leaving my ring finger quite
      swollen).

      > Wondering if anyone knows of any good online resources with
      instructions
      > for constructing one's own thumbring.
      >
      > I'm also wondering if any of the bake-able polymer sculpting clay
      > products like Sculpey
      > <http://www.sculpey.com/Products/products_poly_origsculp.htm>or
      Sculpey