24756Makeing one's own thumbring: Resources? Sculpty?

    May 5, 2008
      I'm afraid the $32+ hand-carved horn thumbrings from Three Rivers are a
      little out of my price range at the moment and I'd like to have a go at
      making my own (200 arrows a day is leaving my ring finger quite swollen).

      Wondering if anyone knows of any good online resources with instructions
      for constructing one's own thumbring.

      I'm also wondering if any of the bake-able polymer sculpting clay
      products like Sculpey
      <http://www.sculpey.com/Products/products_poly_origsculp.htm>or Sculpey
      Ultra-light, et. al., will work for this. I've thought about trying to
      file down Schedule 80 or 40 PVC pipe and boiling it to let me shape it
      (I've used an oven before to straighten schedule 80 pipe when making
      Irish Flutes before, being careful to vent fumes. I think it softens
      around 300 degrees F).

      --

      // Merry

      'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre