24585Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Indoor range - new question

  • Jeff Morton
    Mar 27, 2008
      I wasn't thinking of those crimp-on things. I was just thinking of
      taking a standard steel target point and rounding over, or even
      flattening, the frontmost tip. (You know, the sharp conical portion
      with the flat sides, before it inflects to the concave arc that
      expands to the outer shaft dimension.) I wouldn't suggest using it
      outside of the basement target area but in there it should be heavy
      enough to provide penetration of the target and a foam or hay
      backstop, but not pointed enough to penetrate a decent fabric
      backstop. I haven't had much experience with indoor short-range
      shoots, though, so I don't know how far back towards the shooting line
      a stray shaft is likely to ricochet.

      On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:31 PM, logantheboweyder
      <logantheboweyder@...> wrote:
      > I'm opposed to the crimp-on so-called safety tips often found on
      > kids arrows, especially if shot indoors. The arrow can still kill
      > someone if they hit someone in the right spot, but provide more of a
      > safety hazard by being much more likely to bounce off the target and
      > hit someone/thing.
      >
      > Just my 2 cents, and not condemning anything.
      > Logan

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic