23980Re: [SCA-Archery] Period Nocks

  • Eadric Anstapa
    Dec 9, 2007
      I dont think we know exactly. It seems as if it was such common
      knowledge it didn't seem worth recording. We do know that they were
      highly skilled and had most any hand tool you have today. That includes
      sharp knives, saws, files, and drills. Any of those tools likely would
      have been used by various folks at various times in period. No doubt
      different cultures and different eras within the period covered by the
      SCA had different preferred methods. Something like a hacksaw blade is
      not too unperiod of a tool as they had very thin and fine toothed saw
      blades.

      While we don't necessarily know how it was done in SCA period Europe we
      do know how it is done by primitive cultures today and how it was done
      by Native Americans. Native American arrows, along with many other
      cultures that used a pinch grip, had a V cut or flared nock that it
      easily cut with a sharp knife. The Powhatan indians abraded the nocks
      into their arrows with a beaver tooth attached to a haft.

      For primitive arrow making techniques look at
      Cherokee Bows and Arrows by Al Herrin
      Making Indian Bows and Arrows, The Old Way, by Doug Wallentine
      or
      Making Arrows the Old Way!!, by Doug Wallentine
      Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans, by Jim Hamm

      Regards,

      -Eadric

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ld.blackmoon" <ld.blackmoon@...> wrote:

      > i've seen lots of articles on how to make period self nocks using 1: a nifty nocker,2: hacksaw blades, 3: a dremil tool ,but none using a period tool, or technique . any idea
      > where to look to find such an article ?? or perhaps pictures ? diagrams ?be safe, be happy, have fun
      > arthur blackmoon

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic