23786Re: [SCA-Archery] IKAC Status and period shoots

  • Carolus
    Nov 8, 2007
      Great post. This is the spirit I have grown up with in the SCA and
      try to promote. Many folks tend to forget this is a hobby many only
      play at for a few hours a month or week. Our events are nothing more
      than costume party socials to give us a place to share our real
      accomplishments in education. That a small few become very
      proficient in a particular activity is wonderful and the fact that
      they can present a model worthy of inspiration and emulation is
      admirable. But those people need to recognize that they are a very
      special elite. Most of the rest of the participants will never reach
      that level. We need to keep our sport accessible and inviting to the
      masses. I have been shooting over 40 years now and have watched
      archery fall from a common participant sport to a nearly invisible
      one, the SCA is one of the best places to introduce it and expand
      it. If we make it too exclusive to the common member, we sill soon
      find it unavailable to the rest of us as well.
      Carolus