23766Re: [SCA-Archery] IKAC Status and period shoots

  • Ben Reeder
    Nov 8, 2007
      Speaking as a re-newbie, after being out for 10 years or so before getting back in, the true aim is indeed to get the newbie to the awesome wood bow with no shelf and horn nocks, etc. But like anything worthwhile, this is a journey, not a job interview. We don't show up to the field that first time ready to win our first IKAC competition or walk away with Crown tourney under our belts. So, yeah, start with that fiberglass bow. Just dont' stay with it. And, when we get that first decent recurve, we become the example that the next set of fresh faced newbies comes to emulate. When we get to the awesome longbow with horn tips and that set of hand fletched arrows, we become what we once tried to be. I don't think that journey would be as satisfying if we were required to start at the top and coast along. Period shoots are ways to recreate teh Middle Ages, yeah, and great to have as a part of period archery. But, the more important part here, at least in my eyes, isn't
      as much the target as the archer. The target just gets shot at. The archer is the one who displays the best parts of the current Middle Ages, whether in a down to the stitches recreation of a period archer's clothing or in a t-tunic and wal-mart firberglass bow and quiver. In the end, people can see the spirit we bring to the line, and they can see that spirit in the way we progress as archers. The targets represent that spirit, yes, in that they show our dedication to our sport (for lack of a better word). But they are only a part of our overall contribution to the Society.

      Just my two schillings worth,

      Jon Strongebowe
      Shire of Oakheart, Calontir