23526Re: [SCA-Archery] Making an Armguard?

  • Michael Grossberg
    Sep 24, 2007
      From: Richard Yeager
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: 9/24/07 3:08:59 PM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Making an Armguard?

      What draw weight are you using? Heavier weights will require a heavier
      leather. We typically use oil tanned leather as opposed to tooling leather
      in our arm-guards. It is more supple and comfortable. The tooling leather
      is better for really heavy weight bows or if you want to decorate the
      arm-guard.

      Cuan mac Niall

      I used a couple of layers of 2-3 oz soft leather to make my bracer, having
      had my fill of stiff leather that tended to slide down my
      arm and grate at my wrist. I cheated, though; I put an aluminum splint
      between the layers in a sewn channel along the inside of my forearm.
      Keeps the string from hitting tender little me, still feels comfortable
      even after several hours of wearing, and looks damn good besides.

      Gardr Gunnarsson
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic