23460Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Help with scary vision thing.

  • James Koch
    Sep 12, 2007
      About four years ago I began seeing areas of my field of vision
      blurring periodically. I tried closing one eye and then the other
      and realized that it was not associated with either eye. I have
      suffered from periodic severe headaches since I was about 13. I was
      scheduled to take my mother to the Cleveland Clinic for an eye exam
      and made an appointment for myself at the same time. My exam was
      routine and when I spoke with the doctor afterwards I mentioned the
      occasional blurring. He asked if I have had bad
      headaches. Apparently what I was seeing is called scintillating
      scotomas, a classic indicator of a pending migraine. Once I realized
      I have been suffering from migraines all these years I began treating
      myself once per week with tryptophan which is converted to serotonin
      in the brain. I haven't had a migraine attack since. I saw
      scintillating scotomas once at Pennsic and bought and ate a bunch of
      bananas from the fruit stand. Bananas are full of tryptophan as is
      milk, and turkey. You may be experiencing something of this
      sort. If it returns or persists, your best bet is to see your eye doctor.

      Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)