23457Help with scary vision thing.

  • 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Meriwether Lutre
    Sep 12, 2007
      Last night at archery practice, I was extremely disconcerted to have the
      5-ring 60cm bull optically distort each time I was taking a shot. It
      was very upsetting and not a little scary. I'm attending King's Company
      of Archers this weekend and I'm terrified that it might happen there and
      even more terrified that it might be the symptom of some greater problem
      like some sort of tumor or other difficulty that would lead to at least
      migraines and blindness, if not something far worse.

      I've created a somewhat accurate representation of how things looked
      though I think at times despite the rings floating so that they
      'touched' the outside of the next larger ring, it did seem that the
      whole thing ended up being asymmetrically more towards one corner...
      i.e., in my drawing the bull still remains centered in the target
      overall, but I don't think that was, or always was the case here.

      Here's the image (the rings aren't the correct colors and the divisions
      are not properly sized but it still illustrates what was happening)

      If the inline image does not come through on the list, you can see it
      here as well:
      http://bramblethorne.org/Photos/main.php?g2_itemId=3571

      Here are further details:
      1. I do not close my non-dominant eye while sighting on the target.
      2. If I switched sides to see if it was one eye or the other, the same
      thing happened, though if I remember right it seemed to drift to the top
      left instead of seeming to drift to the bottom right. I may be
      misremembering.
      3. I don't recall if it 'drifted' into the configuration really quickly,
      or if it was just 'that way' when I focused down.
      4. At 20 yards
      5. May be my glasses. I was fiddling with them all through practice
      after it started happening but to no avail.
      6. I am severely fatigued
      7. I think I actually shot more accurately when I didn't try to fight it.
      8. It left me disoriented and a little unsteady on my feet, and made me
      have to close my eyes tightly and breathe a bit after every let, before
      opening to prevent slight vertigo. It also left me very upset,
      preoccupied and depressed.

      Do any of you know anything about this? To be quite often, having the
      image pasted in the document while I compose and look below it is
      creating a very similar disorientation and vertigo

      Please... please have good news. I'm beside myself with concern over
      this, and more than a little scared.

      --

      // Merry

      "Merry" Toirdhealbhach Meriwether Lutre
      Shire of Standing Stones, University of Missouri at Columbia
      Formerly known as Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
      Mundanely known as Christian M. Cepel
      http://Thistledowne.org

      'Toirdhealbhach' or modernly Anglicized 'Turlough'
      Is pronounced as 'tur-low' or tur-logh'