23368Re: In need of improved gear

  • logantheboweyder
    Aug 20, 2007
      My understanding is that if you did get the working area wide
      enough, it would have too little resistance to limb twisting, and
      when drawn the siryaah would cause the favored bend to be a twist
      rather than a flex. I don't understand the relationship between
      limb dimensions and resistance to twist, but qualitatively know that
      it is easier to twist a 45 lb fiberglass laminate recurve limb than
      a 45lb solid fiberglass longbow limb for instance, and that is
      mostly because laminate is wider but thinner.

      Logan
      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Fritz <carl.west@...> wrote:

      > When logantheboweyder put fingers to keys it was 8/20/07 9:44
      AM...

      > > My understanding is that wooden horsebows don't work well; wood
      just
      > > simply won't stand up to the amount of stretching/compression
      that
      > > takes place in the working sections of the bow. Hence, the use
      of
      > > horn, sinew, and bamboo, and wood was only used for the core and
      > > siryaahs (sp?)
      > >
      > > I intend to someday give it a try, but have expectations of
      nearly
      > > immediate bow failure.
      >
      > Just make the limbs _really_ wide and thin.
      > They may end up so wide that air resistance comes into play,
      > and there might be some difficulty seeing the target, but aside
      from that...

      > --
      > Fritz
      > Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.