22802Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: archery glove photos

  • Robin Goldman
    May 15, 2007

      Thanks so much for the info and for sharing!

      Lady Eleanor

      ghmargaret <ghmargaret@...> wrote: Greetings

      Thank you for the compliment. The pattern was created by myself specifically for my lord.
      The site posted below shows how to create your own pattern for a complete glove. I have
      not added the thumb piece, but left the opening. I removed the pinky finger and adjusted
      the opening there. All other construction instructions are the same.

      This site got me started in the right direction. It helps to make a mock-up in felt wool to
      get the proper fit, as it mimics leather. You can use recycled leather but watch for dye
      leakage. The very first archery glove I made for myself ended up leaching dye and my hand
      would be black and blue after use!

      There is also a Yahoo!Group for glovemaking called the Society of St. Anne. Very
      informative. There are books too.

      Have fun,

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ladyscribe07" <ladyscribe07@...> wrote:
      > Dear Lady,
      > Very nicely done gloves. I would be interested in getting a pattern
      > if you have one.
      > Thanks,
      > Lady Eleanor Ravenild (Shire Grey Gargoyles)
      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ghmargaret" <ghmargaret@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Greetings
      > >
      > > I have posted photos of a three-fingered archery glove here:

      > > They are in the photos section of this group.
      > >
      > > This was taken from a Hans Burgmair painting "Die Basilika S. Croce"
      > done in 1504. I call it a
      > > late 15th-early 16th century glove.
      > >
      > > It was done in deerskin with extra padding on the palm-side of the
      > fingers. The detail work is
      > > done in pigskin suede. Thread was artificial sinew and linen.
      > Stitched by hand. This is the
      > > first glove I have done for someone else and the fourth glove (well
      > the other three were pairs)
      > > I have made.
      > >
      > > The glove was done for my lord, James Wolfden, for his string hand,
      > and should be worked
      > > in nicely by the end of the month.
      > >
      > > Enjoy,
      > > Margaret Hamilton of Stirlingshire