22800Re: archery glove photos

  • ghmargaret
    May 15, 2007
      Greetings

      Thank you for the compliment. The pattern was created by myself specifically for my lord.
      The site posted below shows how to create your own pattern for a complete glove. I have
      not added the thumb piece, but left the opening. I removed the pinky finger and adjusted
      the opening there. All other construction instructions are the same.

      http://www.glove.org/myfirstgloves.php

      This site got me started in the right direction. It helps to make a mock-up in felt wool to
      get the proper fit, as it mimics leather. You can use recycled leather but watch for dye
      leakage. The very first archery glove I made for myself ended up leaching dye and my hand
      would be black and blue after use!

      There is also a Yahoo!Group for glovemaking called the Society of St. Anne. Very
      informative. There are books too.

      Have fun,
      Margaret

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ladyscribe07" <ladyscribe07@...> wrote:

      > Dear Lady,
      >
      > Very nicely done gloves. I would be interested in getting a pattern
      > if you have one.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Lady Eleanor Ravenild (Shire Grey Gargoyles)
      >
      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ghmargaret" <ghmargaret@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Greetings
      > >
      > > I have posted photos of a three-fingered archery glove here:

      > > They are in the photos section of this group.
      > >
      > > This was taken from a Hans Burgmair painting "Die Basilika S. Croce"
      > done in 1504. I call it a
      > > late 15th-early 16th century glove.
      > >
      > > It was done in deerskin with extra padding on the palm-side of the
      > fingers. The detail work is
      > > done in pigskin suede. Thread was artificial sinew and linen.
      > Stitched by hand. This is the
      > > first glove I have done for someone else and the fourth glove (well
      > the other three were pairs)
      > > I have made.
      > >
      > > The glove was done for my lord, James Wolfden, for his string hand,
      > and should be worked
      > > in nicely by the end of the month.
      > >
      > > Enjoy,
      > > Margaret Hamilton of Stirlingshire