22617New "Mail In Tournament"

  • Frederick Fenters
    Mar 31, 2007
      I probably will kick myself for this when the scores start coming in and I
      have to build a website, but I am taking up where the Unicorn Challenge, run
      by Lord Caedmon Wilson left off. The season starts now and ends September
      30.

      Fenri's Challenge is the new game in town. I will use the same scoring
      format that worked so well in the Unicorn Challenge. The archer starts out
      standing 10 yards from the target and shoots a flight of 10 arrows. Once a
      "perfect 10" is scored, the archer progresses back to 20 yards. Score is
      the total of hits on target up to the present position. For example, s
      person posting a score of 11 has shot the required perfect round at 10 yards
      and hit 1 in the flight at 20 yards. Once one has run that "perfect 10" at
      a given distance, he/she/it/they need not shoot that distance again for the
      rest of the season. Explaination: once you hit 10/10 at 10 yards, you
      progress to 20 yards and start each time at 20 yards for score. You may
      shoot the shorter distances for practice, but once you have scored 10/10 at
      a given distance, no further score at that distance need be submitted. A
      score of 55 means that the archer has managed that "perfect 10" at 10, 20,
      30, 40, and 50 yards and has hit 5 of 10 at 60 yards.

      Now for the fun part: the Target.

      Based on pictures I have seen of British castles and the ones I visited in
      Germany when my "rich Uncle Sam" paid for my 3 year trip, I wish to use a
      semi-cruciform slot for our target this year. What do you mean, you ask.
      I'm glad you asked. Prepare for some horrid ascii art.

      **

      **

      **

      **

      **

      ************

      ************

      **

      **

      **

      **

      **

      Each line of stars represents a piece of duct tape in the standard U.S. 2
      inch dimension. Canadians get no bonus for metric tape because it's my game
      and I said so. (provincial attitude ain't it) :-)

      The vertical arms total 36 inches (91.44 cm) (Don't say I am not helpful to
      you folks trapped by the ice and snow) BTW, that means the arm going up and
      down :-) the horizontal arm is centered from top to bottom and is 12 inches
      (30.5 cm) wide.

      Any arrow that hits any portion of the cruciform slot is counted as a hit.
      Edge shots go to the archer. Make sure the top and bottom of the vertical
      and the left and right ends of the horizontal are clean lines.

      You may submit one score per person per day. We're on the honor system
      here, so I am going to take your word. If I start getting a bunch of scores
      of 151 or so, I am going to get doubtful and you may give me an excuse for a
      road trip or to "sic" another marshal on you to prove your score.

      Now get out there and put holes in things!

      Forester Padraig MacRaighne