21886RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: Thanks for all the help (formerly: My first bow project)

  • Rj Bachner
    Dec 3, 2006
      Heya

      White oak is an excellent choice for a bow wood. It is almost as strong as
      hickory, makes an excellent flat bow and with some effort it makes a pretty
      good Longbow. It is, like Hickory very much prone to holding moisture
      content and so you should be very careful about making sure it is
      maintained at about 9% Moisture content (MC) and that when done that you
      seal the bow well.

      If you are not careful about MC then white oak can take a lot of set. You
      need to keep it dry dry dry.

      If you are going to make a bow of hickory or white oak a drying box is well
      worth the effort.

      White Oak also takes well to heavy heat treating. The last one I made I
      toasted the heck out of it 3 times while I was making it and it works well.

      Like Hickory, edge grain Laminations are an excellent backing for wood bows
      as well.

      I suggest you stick with flat bow designs till you are familiar with how it
      works. For a 28 inch draw, a 66 inch bow, 6 inch handle and 1 3/4 inch wide
      limbs will give you a pretty nice 50 lb bow when your done. You can also
      make the non bending handle section as much as dbl the length and narrow the
      limbs to 1 1/2 inches for the same effect with little or no set if tillered
      well.

      Red Oak is less prone to holding on to water, is not quite as strong but
      also makes a good bow. It is a favorite of many bowyers though because it is
      easier to work with for excellent results.

      As Logan mentioned, any wood can make a bow with the right design. But the
      denser harder hardwoods will work the best. Most softwoods don't have the
      guts to make a useful long-lasting bow. Most Junipers, Yew and some fir
      heartwoods to the exception.

      I suggest you find a good cabinet maker's lumber yard and find some quarter
      sawn hardwood to start with, around here white ash and red oak are the
      cheepest options that work well.

      this is some good basic instructions on making your first bow.
      http://p081.ezboard.com/fpaleoplanet69529frm52.showMessage?topicID=12.topic

      And this is some instructions on selecting a board stave in a lumber yard
      http://p081.ezboard.com/fpaleoplanet69529frm52.showMessage?topicID=2.topic

      I hope all this helps, let me know if you need more info.

      Ragi

      Brokenaxe Archery
      www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca

      7451 St Jacques West #2
      Montreal Quebec Canada
      H4B 1W7

      "Beauty is power and elegance. right action, form fitting function,
      intelligence and reasonability. and very often expressed in curves."