21439RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: Into the fray

  • Laebeth Cúriel
    Sep 4, 2006
      [BAD FINGERS! SENT THIS BEFORE I COULD TYPE THE TITLE OF THE VERSES.]

      Actually, “south” Welsh has been experiencing a renaissance over the past
      few decades. North Welsh is still the first language learned by many in
      the, well, north, of course. English is taught in the schools, but the
      language remains well alive in the rural communities.

      This is the last verse and chorus from Hen ‘Wlad Fy Nhadau, the unofficial
      anthem of Wales (Land of my Fathers).

      Os treisiodd y gelyn fy ngwlad dan ei droed,
      Mae hen iaith y Cymry mor fyw ag erioed,
      Ni luddiwyd yr awen gan erchyll law brad,
      Na thelyn berseiniol fy ngwlad.

      Gwlad, Gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad,
      Tra môr yn fur i'r bur hoff bau,
      O bydded i'r heniaith barhau.

      [rough English translation

      Though the enemy has trampled my country underfoot,
      The old language of the Welsh knows no retreat,
      The treacherous hand has not hindered the spirit

      Nor has it silenced the sweet harp of my land.

      Land! Land! I am true to my land!
      As long as the see serves as a wall for this pure, dear land
      May the language endure for ever.

      Y Ddraig Goch ddyrry cychwyn!

      Laebeth

      P.S. The popularity of JRR Tolkien’s Sindarin language, resulting from the
      success of the LotR movies, also gave Welsh a boost, as JRRT used Welsh as
      the structural basis for that common language of the Elves.

      ~dabcdabdcabcdabc~

      One Arrow

      Arrows@...

      www.1Arrow.net <http://www.1arrow.net/>