21321Festival of the Rose, Aug 26 (long message)
- Aug 1, 2006Forwarded from the Event Steward,
This is an opportunity to make archery more visible.
I'm going to try and be there, let's have a lot of
archers show up.
The Steward tells me that there is room to set up a
small range if we bring our own backstops and safety
Yours is service to Caid and archery...
Unto the Company of Archers
From Magistra Astra Christiana Benedict, Event Steward
I am writing to invite you and your group or guild to
participate in the Festival of the Rose in Lyondemere
on August 26th.
The Festival of the Rose is a celebration of the arts
and sciences, held each reign in honor of the Queen.
When Baroness Angelina and I decided to host the
Festival of the Rose this summer in conjunction with
the celebration of the 25th anniversary of the Company
of Clothiers, we decided to focus this Festival on the
wonderful contributions of the many groups and guilds
of the Kingdom, and the way that they enhance our
re-creation of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.
I would like you to look at this as an opportunity to:
- Honor the Queen. Although Queen Kolfinna
is most noted for Her skill and chivalry on the field
of combat, She also has a lively interest in the arts,
and is very supportive of our theme for this event.
- Showcase the work of your group or guild,
either collectively or through the work of individual
- Create additional enthusiasm for the art
or science that your group or guild supports.
You do not need to be an officially chartered group or
guild to participate. You may be just a group of
people or household who get together to explore an
art, science, culture or time period - that's fine.
And there are several ways that you may participate:
- Set up a booth or table to display the work
of your group or guild (these could be group projects
or individual projects by members of your group)
- Demonstrate what you do and how you do it,
either as part of your display or in actual
- Provide the resources for the populace to
try your art or science for themselves
If you think that your group will be interested in
participating, read on for a few more ideas and
details on how your group can participate. I will do
my best to accommodate your needs to create the best
possible display for your group.
This will also be two events in one. In the evening
following the Festival of the Rose, the Company of
Clothiers will be celebrating its 25th anniversary
with the Silver Rose Ball. There will be good food,
dancing to live music, and of course beautiful
clothing. I promise you it will be an event worth
When I look back at the 25 year history of the Company
of Clothiers, I am warmed by the remembrance of how
much I have gained from being a part of that group. I
have been a student, and I have been a teacher. I
have grown in the costuming and textile arts, and have
been instrumental in helping others grow. Id like to
think that there are a lot more beautiful clothes in
Caid because of the work of the Company of Clothiers.
I still have the note that Angelina wrote to me after
we first met, inviting me to attend the first meeting
of a costuming group she was starting in Dreiburgen.
To paraphrase Humphrey Bogart, that was the start of
a beautiful friendship.
If you feel the same way about your guild - and I
suspect you do - please consider joining us in
Lyondemere on August 26th and help make this a
memorable day for the Queen and the Kingdom.
If your group is interested in participating in the
Festival of the Rose, please contact me.
In service to the Crown and Kingdom of Caid,
Magistra Astra Christiana Benedict,
Event Steward and Principal of the Company of
Clothiers of Caid
Esther Benedict, 728 Erica Place, Oxnard, CA 93036,
(805) 278-0135, astraben@...
Information Regarding Displays and Demos for
The Festival of the Rose and Silver Rose Ball
August 26, 2006
A Celebration of Caids Guilds
- Calle Mayor Middle School, 4800 Calle
Mayor, Torrance, California 90505.
- This site has been used in the past for
Collegium Caidis, and will be the site of the upcoming
- Like all schools, this is a dry site.
10:00 a.m. Local set-up
10:30 a.m. Site opens, display set-up
12:00 p.m. Demonstrations and performances begin
4:00 p.m. Demonstrations and performances end
4:30 p.m. Royal court
5:30 p.m. Court ends; take down displays
6:00 p.m. Set up for ball
7:00 p.m. Silver Rose Ball begins
11:00 p.m. Silver Rose Ball ends
Information Regarding Displays
- We will be using the cafeteria for
performing groups and court, and for the Silver Rose
Ball in the evening. We dont anticipate having
displays in there, as they would detract from the
- We will be setting up tables in the breeze
ways for the smaller displays.
- We can set up booths in pavilions in the
grassy area between the rows of class room buildings.
(We recommend E-Z Up type pavilions, to be kind to the
schools sprinkler system.)
- We can use the athletic field for really
big demonstrations (CRAC comes to mind )
- We can swing a few classrooms, if
necessary, for anything the absolutely has to be
indoors (but wed like to keep things out of doors as
much as possible, to contribute to the fair
- We can provide some tables and E-Z ups for
groups to use, but if you can provide your own, that
would be great.
- We want to work with you if you need
access to power, water, whatever, please ask. If
there is a way to accommodate your group within the
bounds of safety and legality, well do it.
- When planning your display, please include
a way to identify your group with a sign, banner or
what have you.
- Please contact the Event Steward to discuss
what your needs are to create the perfect display or
demo for your group.
- Please do not just show up on the day with
your display! Well be planning things out in
advance, and if you just show up, we may not be able
to accommodate you.
Information Regarding Performances and Demos
- We will be using the cafeteria for
performing groups and court, and for the Silver Rose
Ball in the evening.
- There will be a time limit on performances
and demos in the hall. The actually time limit will
depend on the number of groups we have, but were
figuring 10 minutes maximum for each group. Remember
that Her Majesty will also need time to see the
displays and demos that cant be done in the hall.
- We will have a Mistress of Ceremonies, with
a gong and a hook if necessary, to keep things moving.
- We will let you know before the event when
you are scheduled to perform, and will do our best to
keep to the schedule (let us know if your group has a
preference as to when it performs).
- Dont perform just once! You can also
perform in the outside areas where the displays will
- The Best Display or Demo by a free-standing
- The Best Group Display or Demo by the
guilds of a territorial area
- The Best Performance by a performing group
- Since shopping isnt the focus of this
event (its more on doing), were not going to have
a merchant area, however:
- You are welcome to sell items made by your
group, guild or its members;
- You are welcome to sell supply items needed
for your art or craft, as part of your demo/display
Food at the Event
- The site fee includes a simple box lunch.
- This doesnt mean we dont want cooking
guilds to participate with free samples or bake sales,
just that we dont want people to have to go off site
to get lunch.
- There will be substantial refreshments at
the Silver Rose Ball (we dont want you to leave for
Have a Ball!
- Please consider staying for the Silver Rose
Ball, where the Company of Clothiers will celebrate 25
years as the oldest established permanent floating
sewing circle in Caid!
- We have the all Gs dance master team:
Messrs Gaius, Giuseppe and Giles (theyll teach the
- Mistress Finella and the Phoenix Consort
will provide live music.
- As mentioned above, well have substantial
- As is traditional, we will have Company of
Clothiers hall costume badges, as well as a contest
for the Best Costume or Mask incorporating our theme
of silver roses.
- For the Festival of the Rose only: $7.00
for members, $10.00 for non-members;
- For the Silver Rose Ball only: $12.00 for
members, $15.00 for non-members;
- For Both Events: if youre paying in
advance, the fee will be $15.00 for members, $18.00
for non-members; at the door, full fee for both events
- Children under 12 will be half price.
There will be a maximum fee for SCA families (two
adults and children under 18 with family memberships)
of $20.00 per family for the Festival or the Ball,
$40.00 for both.
- Make checks payable to SCA, Inc./Barony of
- From the 110 Freeway Southbound: Exit at
Sepulveda Blvd., turn right for approximately 4.2
miles, turn left on Anza Ave. for 0.6 miles, turn
right on Calle Mayor. The school is on the left. If
you get to Pacific Coast Highway, youve gone too far.
- From the 405 Freeway Northbound: Take the
CA 91/Artesia Blvd. towards Redondo Beach for 0.2
miles, turn right on CA 91 W/Artesia Blvd. for 0.6
miles, turn left on Hawthorne Blvd. for 3.2 miles,
turn right on Sepulveda Blvd. for 0.4 miles, turn left
on Anza Ave. for 0.6 miles, turn right on Calle Mayor.
The school is on the left. If you get to Pacific
Coast Highway, youve gone too far.
- From the 91 Freeway Westbound: Take the 405
North towards Santa Monica for 5.1 miles, take the CA
91/Artesia Blvd. towards Redondo Beach for 0.2 miles,
turn right on CA 91 W/Artesia Blvd. for 0.6 miles,
follow the Northbound directions.
- Magistra Astra Christiana Benedict, Esther
Benedict, 728 Erica Place, Oxnard, CA 93036, (805)
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
- Next post in topic >>