21216RE: [SCA-Archery] Long arrows

  • Rj Bachner
    Jul 3, 2006
      Yep your right about the straightness of grain but what I have found is that
      the way dowels are stored contributes to a lack of initial straightness. I
      have found many dowels that were good but bent due to gravity and poor
      storage. A little heat a little bend and voila you have a nice straight
      shaft. Ok they need to be trained straight a few times to make up for the
      abuse they suffered as mere dowels but good arrows they remain. This is why
      I say straightness of grain should be a primary concern for selecting dowels
      for arrows. Once you are happy with the grain then you can start to measure
      for spine and weight etc. Selecting for straightness of the dowel first may
      cost you many dowels that would work but for a little effort.

      The reason I said a long bow might suffer from handshock is that a long bow
      has long limbs and those long limbs have a lot of mass to swing forward when
      released and if not tillered properly they will have too much mass in the
      outer limbs and so handshock.

      Now I have started making long flat bows that act like a longbow with a more
      arc of the ellipse bend with short flatbow length working limbs and a long
      static handle. This gives me speed, low string angle and the stability of a
      longbow without the effect of long working limbs. When I made flat bows of
      72 inches with a short handle I found the bow to be a lot more shocky and I
      was not happy with the performance.

      Now we all know a longer bow inherently stores more energy than a short bow
      all things considered but you pay for it with decreased efficiency in power
      delivery.

      Either I am not very good at tillering long bows or long working limbs are a
      little more shocky and require heavy arrows to tame the bow and absorb all
      that energy. I assumed the latter is more likely though my skill may be
      wanting as well. ;) Your mileage may vary but that's what I have learned

      Ragi