      From: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Michael Scherrer
      Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 9:49 AM
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: Rejuvinating a saunder's mat

      Do you mean the large round bails that are about 5 foot high?
      Depending on how they pack them 600 to 1200 pounds to a bail, will effect
      how will they will stop
      an arrow.
      Shoot them into the ends. better buy a lot of arrows, you will need them.
      Shooting round, again depends on how well they were packed.
      These things are rolled up off the ground to create the bail.
      If you start cutting into them, you most likely find yourself with a mound
      of hay at your feet.
      We used them for feeding the sheep and goats years ago.
      Saunders butts are made with long grasses twisted into a rope.
      Think of a hemp rope just bigger. The tighter the twist the more resistance

      to stop arrow.

      Thomas

      >From: "William A. Brown" <bill@...>
      >To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: Rejuvinating a saunder's mat
      >Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 08:00:32 -0500
      >
      >Has anyone had any contact with anyone that bales hay in the large "log"
      >rounds. I wonder if it would be possible to fut slices out of one. They
      >should be compacted enough for good shaft stopping. Any thoughts?
      >
      >Domingos

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic