19633Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: making bolts

  • Carolus von Eulenhorst
    Mar 9, 2006
      The limiting factor here is the modulus of elasticity of the
      prod. Most prods we use have a rather low modulus and so can throw a
      relatively heavy bolt at the same speed as a light one. The trick is
      to use a chronograph to determine the speed of a bolt, then shoot one
      heavier and one lighter. If the lighter one flies faster, continue
      lightening the bolts until the speed is constant. If the heavier one
      is no slower continue adding weight until the speed drops. This will
      give the optimum bolt weight for the crossbow. Using the heaviest
      bolt possible for the shooting one will do yields the greatest
      accuracy and punch. Of course, it may be possible to throw a bolt
      with enough energy that it penetrates the backstop available, in
      which case a lighter bolt is required for the circumstances.
      Carolus