19614Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: making bolts

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Mar 9, 2006
      I like the ones that will group in the gold at 40 yards!! The ones we have
      been using are 55-60 spine 11/32" arrow shafting 21 1/2 inches long, 100
      maybe 125grain tips depending which works better. We have done lighter
      shafts for the 60-70 yard ranges so you can have the tip of the bolt on the
      (well close to) target. There seems to be little difference in accuracy
      between light and heavy. It may be a bow thing with some bows liking the
      heavy ammo.

      James Cunningham

      > I notice that you recommend the bolt be as light as possible. My
      > preference is the exact opposite. I prefer a heavier bolt and use the
      > heaviest point weight I can get. This can just be my experience with my
      > crossbow.
      >
      > I still try to match up weight and balance but do final grouping at the
      > range.
      >
      > How do others feel? Do you prefer light or heavy bolts?
      >
      > In Service,
      > James Wolfden
      >

      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Scott B. Jaqua" <hagerson@...>
      > wrote:
      > > >
      > > Spin matters not one bit at all.
      > > For a complete explanation and detailed instructions on how I make
      > > crossbow bolts go here.
      > > http://sjaqua.tripod.com/bolts.htm
      > >
      > > Njall
      > >
      > > --