19611Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: making bolts

  • Scott B. Jaqua
    Mar 9, 2006
      jameswolfden wrote:

      >I notice that you recommend the bolt be as light as possible. My
      >preference is the exact opposite. I prefer a heavier bolt and use the
      >heaviest point weight I can get. This can just be my experience with my
      >crossbow.

      Heavy does make for a more stable bolt. But the trade off is a much
      sharper fall off over distance (they fall at the same rate, but the
      heavier bolt starts off slower and takes longer to reach the target).
      Now if you have a very heavy draw crossbow, this isn't an issue. But for
      most SCA period style bows a lighter bolt is needed. Most SCA period
      style bows I have seen are in a hunting/sport weight. My article was
      designed to address those.

      Njall

      --
      Scott B Jaqua