19571Re: Fire arrows

  • Lord Cain Saethydd
    Mar 1, 2006
      I have set arrows ablaze during 2 wedding cerimonies. I used burlap
      and oil. Both arrows burned for some time, and were dificult to put
      out. But, both arrows were recovered, and useable, oddly enough. I
      think it may have to do with how you wrap and apply the flammable
      substance.

      Strange how burning arrows can raise the bride-price during a
      Pirate wedding =).

      Cain

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Cian of Storvik"
      <firespiter@...> wrote:

      > I'm not a big fan of "playing with fire" especially at public
      > gatherings.
      > At Pennsic I hear they build a balsa-wood viking burial ship which
      > fire arrows are shot at, but very special precautions are made
      > including shooting at the boat on water.
      > I believe that period fire arrows probably had a gummy substance
      > like pitch that they could smear on an arrow, or on a piece of
      cloth
      > and wrap about the head. Natural tar can sometimes burn and is
      > suposedly difficult to put out even in a wind, but quite noxcious
      > would assume (like a tire fire).
      > A company in the UK called TODS STUFF sells a reproduction of a
      > german 15th century incendiary recipe. But I believe you might
      have
      > problems importing combustibles into the US without proper customs
      > forms being applied for.
      > I won't speculate on the danger involved or SCA rules might be
      > broken by setting arrows on fire, but I will agree that it seems a
      > bit wasteful to spend ~$3.50 on a well made arrow just so you can
      > set it on fire.
      >
      > -Cian

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic