19029Re: Newcomer question - best bow for the money

  • Cian of Storvik
    Nov 9, 2005
      Best bows for the money...
      I also would encourage you to go traditional as Gladius has. The bow
      you become accustomed to shooting is the one you will shoot well.
      Ragi and others (myself included) will tell you that good arrows are
      more important then the bow. (There are a few REALLY bad bows out
      there)

      You will get a great deal of satisfaction from shooting a
      traditional bow. As far as suggestions for inexpensive bows;
      You might be able to find a decent bow at a thrift store or flea
      market, but as you are not exactly trained what to look for, you
      will most likely be buying a piece of junk if you go that route
      (twisted limbs, delaminations, and cracked risers are all very
      common with yard sale purchased bows.) People stack their bows in
      corners, pile junk on top of them, and generally use and abuse them,
      then cast them aside before trying to sell you it.
      As far as new, lowest in price is Woodbows.com and Fairebows (period
      or near period style long bows). They sell bows that are made of oak
      for $35-$100. But I warn you that oak is a notoriously poor wood for
      a bow because it doesn't have the proper elasticity required to
      prevent string follow or fracture from the slightest overdraw. Some
      people highly recommend them, but my guess is that they've never
      shot a decent longbow. Comparatively oak also imparts very bad hand
      shock upon release and cast is not as good as finer woods like ashe,
      yew and lemonwood.
      The next in price I would suggest is PSE Buckeye. This is a take-
      down recurve bow (the limbs come off and make it very portable).
      This is a modern style, non-traditional, entry level recurve. They
      cost in the $80-$105 range and come in weights upto 35 lbs. from
      WomenWhoHunt.com. The benefit of recurves is that they tend to be a
      bit kinder on poor releases and do not have the same stacking issues
      that longbows have.
      Above the Buckeye is Krymson Archer Bows. I believe he's on this
      list in fact, and sells traditional bows similar to Woodbows and
      Fairbows, but he makes them out of hickory. Hickory still imparts a
      great deal of hand-shock as oak, but the bows are sturdier and don't
      require backings. I've shot a $55 self hickory flat limbed american
      style bow (shelfless) , and it shot as well as my $400 english bow
      (but with a bit more handshock). More importantly, he sells several
      recurves which are very attractive in appearance. I believe his bows
      start around $100 and are upwards of $200. But this falls within
      your price requirement.

      Next up in price (Or about the same) from there is the Samick SKB
      (Samick Korean Bow). This is another recurve, but it is shelfless
      and so I believe it counts as a traditional bow in some Kingdoms.
      The Samick SKB costs around $150 from most retailers (maybe a little
      less from WHH), and has had good reviews from what I've read.
      (Basically people are surprised a $150 bow can shoot so well and
      look so good). The SKB is made of laminations of Fiberglass,
      rosewood and walnut, and has the advantages; since it is fiberglass,
      of not succumbing to string follow, cold/hot temps, and drop off
      from extented holds, etc. It further has the benefits of being a
      recurve, which all tends to eliminate stacking, and improve release.
      SKB's come in 30,40 and 50# draw weights at 28".
      The only negative with the SKB (or any traditional bow I've
      mentioned above) is that it is very important to buy the right spine
      of arrows for your draw length and bow weight.
      Anyhow, those are my recommendations.
      -Cian the opinionated
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic