19024Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Newcomer question - best bow for the money

  • James Koch
    Nov 9, 2005
      Lilion,

      At risk of ruffling a few feathers, I'd go with the longbow or any period
      design before I'd buy a modern recurve. It might take a bit longer to
      master, but learning to shoot well is work either way. So if you are going
      to invest the money and time, go with the most authentic equipment you can
      afford. Also, if you shoot a 30# bow without too much difficulty, you
      might want to consider buying one drawing 35#. Of course if you have long
      arms, you may already be getting more than 30# out of the bows you are
      shooting. Purchase good arrows. Buy at least 2 dozen matched arrows at one
      time. When you are starting out you will lose and break them fairly quickly.

      Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)