19019Re: Newcomer question - best bow for the money

  • ladylilion
    Nov 9, 2005
      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Lord Caedmon Wilson
      <caedmon.wilson@g...> wrote:

      > Greetings, Lilion.
      >
      > Is there an archery practice near you? If there is, I recommend
      > making use of a loaner bow until you decide to commit more time and
      > resources to archery. Many marshals out there have built up a
      > collection of bows they loan out at practices.
      >
      > --
      > Lord Caedmon Wilson
      >
      > Oaken Regional Youth Combat Marshal
      >
      > Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum
      > saxum immane mittam.

      I am in Calontir, in the Shire of Wyvern Cliffe. I haven't checked
      out neighboring shires, but our group doesn't really have any loner
      equipment, certianly not with the right weight and length for me.
      There are not a lot of us and even fewer into archery. Our marshal
      is still in training. I have used his bows, but since they are the
      ones he actually uses, I can't keep doing that. At this point, I
      really need a bow of my own. I like the idea of longbows, although I
      hear they are harder to master. The price of the take down bows is
      somewhat compelling. Can I use a takedown for competitions at all?

      If I had the money, I'd probably go with the lower-priced new
      recurves. I especially like this
      one...http://www.archeryweb.com/bonniebowman/recurve.html#victory
      the size and lower pound pull is exactly what I would like. (Okay,
      that it's just really pretty doesn't hurt.) Pity it's about 3x what
      I want to pay. I just am not sure enough of my interest to spend
      that much yet.

      Should I decide to empty the bank account...does anyone have any
      practical experience with the Victory recurve?

      Again, thanks to you all for any help you may give.
      Lilion
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic