      From: James Koch
      Sent: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 20:07:36 -0700
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Another period bow

      Cian,

      My guess is you could make such a bow, but for it to be flexible enough to
      be drawn without breaking, it would have to be really thin. In other
      words, very low poundage. Unless of course you made it of some magical
      material with a high modulus of elasticity. I suppose a wizard like
      Gandalf could use his powers to whip up a batch of fiberglass. And
      considering the beasts that ran around in that movie, there was likely
      something with really long horns which could be made into bow staves.

      Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

      > At 08:55 PM 10/2/2005, you wrote:
      >I was watching The lord of the rings trilogy (Keep the groaning to a
      >minimum, please) and noticed the short bow that Viggo Mortgenson was
      >using. Sitting on his back, it looked like it was about as thick as
      >your thumb (no thicker) and only about 4'-5' long.
      >I know the it's a fantasy movie, but I was thinking that would be a
      >great period bow to just toss or even keep in my car (my 75" english
      >longbow doesn't fit well in my convertible with the top on). But my
      >thought is that it would be near impossible to make one that short
      >that could be drawn to a near 30" length without snapping like a twig.
      >The fact it wasn't recurved would probably stack like a bastard would
      >also be a deterant.
      >Could something like that be made to work in reality? I know that even
      >self yews (pretty flexible wood) should be as tall or taller then the
      >user to keep from snapping when drawn fully.
      >(I already have 4 bows, but I'm just thinking.)
      >-Cian

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic