17570RE: [SCA-Archery] Looking to apprentice

  • Dan Scheid
    Apr 1, 2005
      It is always hardest to break in a new trail. Compared to following the
      tracks before you. You have set your feet on a great task. You may also be
      the ground breaker (ether in your area or larger).I have found that the SCA
      seem to have pockets of things.
      If your not in that pocket then you have to travel to it. So you maybe out
      of luck for someone that has done any ground breaking ahead of you being
      close. On the other hand we now have the internet. Where we can exchange
      Ideas from around the world. I hope you can find some help. but you might be
      the one breaking the ground for the rest.
      Damales

      Actually this is what I have always done. I was started in archery by Rooke
      and Edward the Grey but
      did most of my learning on my own and with the help of mundane online groups
      like the leatherwall
      and the trad gang and paleoplanet and of course the Boyers bibles and a lot
      of other books. Now I am
      the one that local folks come to to learn from and I cant help but think
      that I have missed so much.

      My medieval research resources are poor and my search skills mostly limited
      to the internet. I guess
      you can say I am at the end of my ideas as to where to look and for what
      Mostly I want to do better
      and I want to concentrate on researching and recreating archery from the
      early dark ages and
      migration era germanic and norse cultures.

      Ragi

      On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:38:36 -0800, you, with reckless abandon, wrote:

      >Ragi. While finding someone to apprentice to is not a bad Idea. I would
      also
      >look outside the SCA. Sometime there are better craftsman in your area that
      >is not sca. This may sound shocking coming from a laurel but sometime the
      >way to knowledge is thought a different door.
      >Damales Redbeard O.L.
      >

      >Heya
      >
      >I am looking for someone to apprentice to so as to learn further the art of
      >fletching and boyery.
      >many of you know of me and my work but I wish to become more well known and
      >I am sure there is so
      >much I need to learn yet that I am not learning on my own.
      >
      >I am looking for someone to learn from who lives within a reasonable
      >distance from Montreal so that
      >I might come see them once in a while. Dalton would be nice but he Moved to
      >alberta dangit.....
      >
      >Is there someone I might discuss this with on the list who might help me or
      >take me on? Yeah the
      >idea of Master Ragi apeals to me but mostly I know there is more I need to
      >learn and directions I
      >need to head in and would like to do it with some guidance.
      >
      >Email me off list if you wish or onlist if you believe the discussion would
      >benefit others.

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic