17034Re: Bow supplier question

  • Ragi of House brokenaxe
    Jan 23, 2005
      another good and probably period way to seal yer wooden bow is to make a small bowl of a 50 50 mix
      of beex wax and linseed or tung oil. then use it as a paste wax on yer bows and arrows. it is what I
      use and it works wonderfully.

      I have also found that a bit of varnish and turpentine in the oil before mixing with the wax helps
      to make the finish a little harder. and you can get some build up over time.

      I make my own bows as well as arrows and I have never had a problem with this finish.

      another finish I like is paste varnish sold in reno stores as paste varnish. just rub on and let dry
      then buff with steel wool and reapply. after a few coats ya have a nice hard and dull finisht hat
      looks like a hand rubbed oil finish.

      as for letting yer bow dry out well check the humidity level in yer house or at least where you
      store the bow, 50% ambient humidity will result in a 9% MC in the wood of the bow which is exactly
      what you want. This cool and dry thing is umm a little vague.

      Herre Ragi "warm Bear" Wul├×arsson of the Barony, Isle du Dragon Dormant.
      (Sometimes known as RJ Bachner)

      Northern shores, East Kingdom SCA.
      ragi@...

      Come visit the Archery diy Pages @
      www.diy.brokenaxe.ca
      and the shoppe @
      www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca your other choice for medieval arrows.

      House of the broken axe.
      www.brokenaxe.ca

      On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:47:01 -0600, you, with reckless abandon, wrote:

      > I would suggest that you should make sure that you keep the bows oiled
      >and or seal them up. I take lemonwood oil and wipe down all my bows until
      >they can't take anymore. After they sit for a couple of days I then seal
      >them up with Tongue Oil. Any bow no matter what the wood will dry out if
      >not properly cared for. Hope this helps!
      >

      >Jean-Paul

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic