17024Re: Bow supplier question

  • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
    Jan 23, 2005

      >Message: 13
      > Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:04:43 -0000
      > From: "gatewood_archer" <gatewood_archer@...>
      >Subject: Re: Bow supplier question
      >

      >I hope this reply goes through, but anyway, I purchased a bow from
      >woodbows.com and it cracked after 2 months. So I sent woodbows.com
      >an email and they sent me a new bow for no charge and recommended I
      >keep the bow in a cool dry place as opposed to the closet where I
      >was keeping the first one. It was drying out in there! So now I keep
      >the bow in the garage where it's cool. The bow is made of red oak,
      >which is not the best wood for a superb bow, but for the price, the
      >new one they sent me shoots fine.
      >

      >--- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ragnall1" <jhmd002@c...> wrote:
      >

      >>Hi all,
      >>
      >>Can anyone tell how the bows from woodbows.com shoot. I'm just
      >>starting to take up the bow again and I'm not ready to spend $400+
      >>on a new bow just yet. Being a lefty makes borrowing one rather
      >>difficult.
      >>
      >>Thanks,
      >>
      >>Ragnall

      I had similar experiences, early in 2001 my linen backed red-oak bow
      from woodbows.com exploded. The
      upper limb gave way, and shot a 15" piece of the belly back just past my
      ear.

      They two replaced it very quickly - with a non-linen backed bow. That
      bow now holds my banner w/device on it.

      I have now heard of several of these bows breaking after not much use.

      As for drying out in the closet.....what do you think it's going to do
      in a "cool, dry" garage?

      Their red-oak bows last for a little while. It's too bad because Phil
      and the group are nice enough.

      Just remember - you get what you pay for.

      Godwin