17015Re: [SCA-Archery] Eye dominance and archery?

  • ld.blackmoon
    Jan 22, 2005
      GREETINGS

      >1. If I do not want to switch hands, is it possible to
      > shoot a right- handed bow, if you are left-eye dominant?
      YES , IT IS POSSIBLE , I DO IT .......
      IF YOU CHOOSE TO LEARN TO FOCUS SHOOT .
      BUT , I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING FOR OVER 30 YEARS, I'M A " FOCUS
      " SHOOTER BY NATURE AND INCLINATION .
      HAVING JUST LEARNED TO " AIM " WHEN I TOOK OVER THE
      POSITION OF BARONIAL ARCHERY MARSHAL .
      SO THAT I COULD TEACH THAT THAT STYLE OF SHOOTING AS WELL .
      I ALSO SHOOT EITHER HANDED .
      >2. Is it worth it to switch hands? Since I've only been
      > seriously practicing archery for the past 4 months, I
      > don't have an enormous time spent on the line that I
      > would be sacrificing. My scores stand a chance of
      > improving a great deal, but I'm still taking a risk.

      AS LONG AS YOU " AIM " YES IT COULD BE " WORTH IT " BESIDES
      , IT NEVER HURTS TO BE ABLE TO SHOOT EITHER HANDED .

      BE SAFE, BE HAPPY, HAVE FUN
      ARTHUR BLACKMOON
      > Greetings, fellow archers...
      >
      > My name is Evyenios, and I am a novice archery in the
      > Kingdom of Calontir, in the Barony of Coeur d'Ennui (Des
      > Moines, Iowa). After about 6 months of steady practice, I
      > learned that I am left-eye dominant, even though I've
      > been practicing archery with a right- handed bow.
      >
      > I guess I should have realized that before now...I just
      > thought everyone was shooting at two targets, like I was!
      > I had even considered wearing an eye patch...
      >
      > So now I am considering switching hands, and learning to
      > release the bow with my left hand. I borrowed a couple
      > folks' left-handed bows, and my "sight picture," (if you
      > want to borrow a term from marksmanship), looked a lot
      > clearer.
      >
      > So here are some questions I have for those on this list
      > who choose to respond, either here or to my own e-mail at
      > ebrads@h...
      >
      > 1. If I do not want to switch hands, is it possible to
      > shoot a right- handed bow, if you are left-eye dominant?
      > Do any of you do this?
      >
      > 2. Is it worth it to switch hands? Since I've only been
      > seriously practicing archery for the past 4 months, I
      > don't have an enormous time spent on the line that I
      > would be sacrificing. My scores stand a chance of
      > improving a great deal, but I'm still taking a risk.
      >
      > 3. Have any of you ever switched hands when you found out
      > your correct eye dominance? How long did it take your
      > shooting form to recover, and your scores to return to
      > their previous levels?
      >
      > -Evyenios

      > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by Medieval
      > Mart Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
      > http://www.medievalmart.com/

      > this list]
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links