16911RE: [SCA-Archery] Eye dominance and archery?

  • Kristine Casper
    Jan 9, 2005
      I learned to shoot left (left-eye dominant) but later changed to right
      (because my uncle had a right-hand bow he wasn't using and that was a lot
      less expensive for me as a newbie). I've been shooting right for about two
      years now. I use both my eyes to look beyond the bow/arrow and directly to
      the target - that is, I don't consciously use the arrow to line up my
      shots - and I don't have the double vision you describe.

      I was considering changing back to left, but wanted to make sure that eye
      dominance was making a difference to how my sight window aligned. So I paid
      close attention to my sight window and my right eye is definitely dominant!
      If I do the peek-through-my-hands trick to check dominance, I am left-eye
      dominant - every time. I picked up a left handed bow anyway and found that
      my right eye remained dominant. Sounds weird, but I guess my right eye
      became trained to dominate when I shoot. I'm sure it would change back if I
      shot left over time.

      I also believe that in truly instinctive shooting (not gap shooting), it
      doesn't matter that much, as both eyes are trained on the target. At least
      that's how it is for me.

      Laebeth

      P.S. If you use a bow without a cut-out arrow rest, you can do both!

      > Greetings, fellow archers...
      >
      > My name is Evyenios, and I am a novice archery in the Kingdom of
      > Calontir, in the Barony of Coeur d'Ennui (Des Moines, Iowa). After
      > about 6 months of steady practice, I learned that I am left-eye
      > dominant, even though I've been practicing archery with a right-
      > handed bow.
      >
      > I guess I should have realized that before now...I just thought
      > everyone was shooting at two targets, like I was! I had even
      > considered wearing an eye patch...
      >
      > So now I am considering switching hands, and learning to release the
      > bow with my left hand. I borrowed a couple folks' left-handed bows,
      > and my "sight picture," (if you want to borrow a term from
      > marksmanship), looked a lot clearer.
      >
      > So here are some questions I have for those on this list who choose to
      > respond, either here or to my own e-mail at ebrads@h...
      >
      > 1. If I do not want to switch hands, is it possible to shoot a right-
      > handed bow, if you are left-eye dominant? Do any of you do this?
      >
      > 2. Is it worth it to switch hands? Since I've only been seriously
      > practicing archery for the past 4 months, I don't have an enormous
      > time spent on the line that I would be sacrificing. My scores stand a
      > chance of improving a great deal, but I'm still taking a risk.
      >
      > 3. Have any of you ever switched hands when you found out your
      > correct eye dominance? How long did it take your shooting form to
      > recover, and your scores to return to their previous levels?
      >
      > -Evyenios

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic