16907Re: [SCA-Archery] Eye dominance and archery?

  • Talmon Parker
    Jan 8, 2005
      Hi Olga!
      I'm Baron Talmon, From Gatesedge in Stargate In Ansteorra. I to was
      basicly right handed for something like 65 years. Then I was in a car wreak,
      that took the lens out of my right eye. Also the pupil. So here I am an old
      grey headed codger, Who refuses to quitely go away. I was shooting a right
      handed recurve at the time [1992], After trying to shoot right handed with
      my left eye.I finally decided I would have to switch over.
      Now this is not an easy thing to do. What with the surgeries going on, But
      I tried to keep active in our group. The standard targets are easy enough,
      but the speed rounds are something else. It's hard to nock the arrows when
      you have no perspective. You miss the string more often than not.
      As for trying a left handed bow, why not just borrow a long bow. All that
      is reqired is to use protection on your bow hand.That's to keep the
      fletching from eating up your knuckels.You might want to use a eye patch, to
      help keep your sight picture clear. I find that for me it's a lot better if
      I have something other than round targets to shoot at.I seem to have aquired
      the reputation of, If it's weird,I can hit it. 3-d targets are not only fun,
      but make you look some where besides the little yellow circle.This will help
      take your mind off of the fact that you are shooting wrong handed.
      I may not be the best target shooter in our group, but I am the best
      heckler, and due to the grey hair I get away with it.I tend to sit behind
      the line and try to teach the new and younger shooters the little things
      that will maybe let them enjoy the sport better.

      At any rate this will let you know that there are lots of us, who didn't
      want to change but we did. for one reason or another...You'll probably find
      your scores will go up some too.

      Lots of luck and keep shooting
      Baron Talmon

      DER BARON