16899Eye dominance and archery?

  • Evyenios Athanasiou
    Jan 1, 2005
      Greetings, fellow archers...

      My name is Evyenios, and I am a novice archery in the Kingdom of
      Calontir, in the Barony of Coeur d'Ennui (Des Moines, Iowa). After
      about 6 months of steady practice, I learned that I am left-eye
      dominant, even though I've been practicing archery with a right-
      handed bow.

      I guess I should have realized that before now...I just thought
      everyone was shooting at two targets, like I was! I had even
      considered wearing an eye patch...

      So now I am considering switching hands, and learning to release the
      bow with my left hand. I borrowed a couple folks' left-handed bows,
      and my "sight picture," (if you want to borrow a term from
      marksmanship), looked a lot clearer.

      So here are some questions I have for those on this list who choose to
      respond, either here or to my own e-mail at ebrads@h...

      1. If I do not want to switch hands, is it possible to shoot a right-
      handed bow, if you are left-eye dominant? Do any of you do this?

      2. Is it worth it to switch hands? Since I've only been seriously
      practicing archery for the past 4 months, I don't have an enormous
      time spent on the line that I would be sacrificing. My scores stand a
      chance of improving a great deal, but I'm still taking a risk.

      3. Have any of you ever switched hands when you found out your
      correct eye dominance? How long did it take your shooting form to
      recover, and your scores to return to their previous levels?

      -Evyenios
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic