16050Re: [SCA-Archery] Event differences/Seeking advice

  • Russ Sheldon
    Sep 1, 2004
      Greetings,
      A couple of things to remember.
      1) Without some kind of trigger release ( ie using just your hand ) everyone
      will pluck the string sometime. Even the best archer. Period.
      2) There are more than one release method , static, active and what I call
      open release. All have there pro's and con's and none of them are the be all
      and end all of shooting. Use the one your most comfortable with.
      Static is where you anchor your hand and just release your fingers.
      I find that errors in your release using a static release can be magnified
      by a lighter poundage bow. Also hard to get a nice fast release with the
      string without a lot of practice. If you master this release though you will
      get very good scores for all ranges of archery.
      Active release requires you to anchor your hand and then pull and
      release the string. I find that you get faster release with the string but
      it is hard to get a consistent speed with the release for longer yardage
      shots. Also easier to pluck using this method.
      Open release ( may have other names ) has your hand follow the
      release of the string for a few inches. Very hard to do right unless your
      using really high poundage bows. Your hand just gets in the way and slows
      down the release.
      3) Be it a glove, finger tab, or just your fingers all must be inspected to
      help better your release. A beat up grubby glove or finger tab can cause
      your string to hang or not roll right on your release. These need to be
      replaced when they begin to get worn. Trouble is they always seem to die
      just as they get broken in just right. Sigh! As for your fingers, calluses
      that will form may help protect your fingers from blisters but they may also
      cause areas on your fingers to catch the string. You may have to smooth or
      scrape these down periodically.
      4) Do not expect to be shooting consistently for at least 4 to 6 months with
      regular practice, some people are faster. Your muscles need to develop a
      memory and I usually find that it takes some people that long for everything
      to click. On a 60cm target I usually tell my students to be quite happy to
      get all there arrows on the paper first. Also its better to get a nice tight
      grouping even off the page consistently than have your arrows looking like
      they were shot all over the place with a few in well scoring locations on
      the target. The person with the tight group can eventually be taught to
      change his aiming point and move the group onto the target thus netting
      him/her a very nice score.

      Lastly remember in all of this to Have fun.

      Hope this helps.

      Russ Sheldon / Dafydd ap Sion