15569Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Women and archery

  • Carolus Eulenhorst
    Jun 30, 2004
      According to Crossbows by Stevens, The Company of St. George in Ghent (a
      crossbow society) had several women listed as members in the early 16th
      century. These included Queen Isabella of Denmark around 1508-1515.
      Reading the various accounts he gives it appeared that she was crowned
      schutzenkoenig after hitting the bird with her shot to open a major
      competition.
      Carolus

      On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:52:17 -0700 (PDT) "J. Hughes"
      <jphughessr@...> writes:
      > I know about her shooting the crossbow hunting and
      > have documentation on that. I would be MOST interested
      > in her wining a schutzenkonig shoot in London. There
      > was a soverign lady that did that in modern day
      > Belgium in the first decade of the 17th century.
      > Several of the German monarchs won at such shoots.
      > The German women frequently used the crossbow hunting
      > and the Emperor Maximilian is said to have taught his
      > daughter to shoot. I am still interested in exactly
      > how the ladies of the Frauenberg in the Naha valley
      > defended their castle - crossbow is the logical
      > answer...
      >
      > Charles O'Connor

      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!